Well Hello Miss American Pie

Don McLean - Interview
From the book Minds Behind the Music

Seriously, do I have to write a bio of Don McLean? If you don’t know who he is then just where the hell have you been? OK, my publisher is looking strange at me now, so I better write something.

Don McLean is a music legend. Who, on planet Earth has not heard the song “American Pie”? Even Madonna has heard of it. Anyway, it’s nearly 9 minutes long and has been called a cultural touchstone about the loss of innocence. It’s genius, go listen.

Of course, this isn’t his only hit. The song “Vincent” was huge too (also performed as a duet with Ed Sheeran for Teen Cancer America). A beautifully melodic song about the life of Vincent van Gogh. And there’s “And I Love You So” which has been covered by Elvis Presley Perry Como, Helen Reddy and Glen Campbell amongst others. Look, there’s just loads of great songs by Don, go and do a search!

In 2004, Don was inducted into the illustrious Songwriters Hall of Fame. The man is nothing short of, and way beyond, the term, Legend. I was humbled to be allowed close enough to ask him my potty questions.

If you could be any other musician past or present, which one would it be and why?
I would be Duke Ellington because he was a beautiful man with exquisite taste.

If you had to name one song from any genre that really speaks to you, which one would it be and why?
It would be White Christmas by Bing Crosby as I heard in the very early 1950s because it brings me back home again to a kind of perfect happiness.

Are you a Mulder or Scully? Do you believe aliens have visited planet earth and if so what do you think they think about mankind?
I am positive aliens have visited planet earth. To think that we are the only life in an endless universe is like believing the earth is flat.


What was the happiest day of your life and why?
That’s a hard one since I have had many happy days. Perhaps it was getting my first Martin D28 guitar in 1963.

If “God” (whatever your idea is on that) were stood before you now, what one question would you ask him/her and why?
As a former Catholic it would have to be the Holy Trinity and I would ask Jesus if since he is God and all knowing, if he knew when he died that he would rise from the dead. Being God he would have to say yes and he would admit that he really, therefore, did not die.


From the book Minds Behind the Music
Copyright 2021 Minds Behind the Music