In a Blaze of Glory

Blaze Bayley – Iron Maiden, Wolfsbane, Blaze Bayley Band


Leader of the band, Blaze and the Blaze Bayley Band, he now also performs solo. But Mr. Bayley was also the lead singer of rock band, Wolfsbane, for ten years and lead singer of some small rock band called Iron Maiden that you’ve probably never heard of. So just like a highly bread canine, he has pedigree. Blaze managed to stop screeching over the noise of crashing guitars just long enough to answer my questions.

If you could be any other musician past or present, which one would it be and why?
That is one of the most difficult questions ever in the history of music. I have tried for many years to be happy where I am and with what I have got.

I realised how many great moments I trivialised and did not appreciate. I let things slip by me while me and my ambition looked at the top of the mountain. Now I celebrate every small success and try to squeeze the juice out of the moments. So my choice can only be superficial. I believe that in most cases, great art comes from pain. I do not want the pain and challenges of those musicians I have come to admire but I will take the fluffy nice bits.

Bill Withers for his voice and songs. James brown for his impossible achievements and innovation. Elvis Presley for his influence on popular music and his voice. But the artist whose journey I would be most interested in taking would be Jimmy Page. With Led Zeppelin he created a sound that became the expression of my teenage soul and the sound of my adult passion. The modern equivalent of the Greek god Apollo with all his powers, but with command of demons and electricity as well as the sun and music.

If you had to name one song from any genre that really speaks to you, which one would it be and why?
That question is literally insane. No one who loves music will willingly name one song. It is a wicked question. Songs that bring memories of my first kiss. Songs I clung to as my broken heart tried to heal. Songs that filled me with a dark power that raised me to my aching feet and made me try once more to master my own voice and destroy any predetermined destiny. It cannot be done. But… there is one that takes me to a beginning . A song that changed my life and set me on a path that I still tread. Black Sabbath. Children of the sea. Written in 1979 by Tony Iommi and Ronnie James Dio. Released in April 1980 as part of the Heaven and Hell album. That song.

Are you a Mulder or Scully? Do you believe aliens have visited planet earth and if so what do you think they think about mankind?
I am Scully. They took me away and experimented on me in a laboratory on a train. Aliens are not responsible for any of the technology available on earth. Aliens are time travelling humans. Humanity right now is the most advanced intelligence in this universe. We will be gently side-lined by the silicone and diamond and quantum life forms that are gestating in our phones. The satellites we choke our space with will give the self destructive nature of humanity every assistance in destroying itself. I will be standing on a desolate world looking at Fox Mulder saying… “I told you it wouldn’t be aliens!”



Taken from the book, Minds Behind the Music with over 80 music stars! More here Minds Behind the Music