Is It Foggy on the Tyne?

Exclusive Interview with Rod Clements of Lindisfarne


Ivor Novello Award winning singer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist of that wonderful English folk band, Lindisfarne, Rod Clements is also a bloody lovely man, which is much more important in my eyes. But for all you music fans out there you will remember that massive hit song, “Meet Me on the Corner” from 1972 and the fact that Rod was also a founding member of Jack the Lad, working with such greats as Ralph McTell.

And so to the interview.

As an expressive artist in the music industry, how does the state of the planet make you feel?
I am depressed about the state of the planet but I don’t think that’s anything to do with me being an “expressive artist”.


Do you think as a person of some influence that there is a duty on us to help influence humanity for the better?
I doubt that I have the influence that your question implies. But I feel that it is incumbent on all of us to influence humanity for the better. The problem arises when we try to define “better”. After all, Hitler was “a person of some influence” who no doubt thought he was helping to “influence humanity for the better”. We all need to work together on this.


What one cause would you say you feel most associated with and why? Whether it’s equality, poverty, politics, the environment or other?
Firstly, I believe that the “causes” cited in your question (equality, poverty etc) are all part of the same problem. Secondly, I don’t feel associated with any particular “cause” in that abstract sense. I just try to do the right thing.


If you were stood before the leaders of the world, what would you say to them?
I’d ask them to work together on an urgent united global policy to tackle the climate crisis and the worldwide social and health problems created by poverty and inequality. I would remind them of Gandhi’s assertion that “there is enough in the world for everyone’s need, but not enough for everyone’s greed”. They would then nod in agreement, then go away and do nothing about it.

Read more of this interview and 80 other music stars in the book, Minds Behind the Music Minds Behind the Music