The Genesis of Music

Steve Hackett and Minds Behind the Music


Oh my, where do I start with a man like Steve Hackett? Musician, singer, songwriter, producer and all-round grand chap. Most folk will have heard of that little prog-rock band called Genesis. Well, Steve was in that. In fact six studio albums, three live albums, seven singles and one little old EP. In 2010 he was, with the other members, inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (it’s a little place round the back of the Red Lion).

There aren’t many people who can claim to have influenced Eddie Van Halen or Brian May, but Steve’s amazing musical ability is beyond compare, so we won’t go there anyway. His solo work is vast, so vast it would turn this book into Lord of the Rings, so go and do a web search thingy on that phone glued to your hand. Oh, and his biggest claim to fame, he knows me. 

So he’s a god of music and I managed to get an audience with him up in the lofty clouds.

If you could be any other musician past or present, which one would it be and why?
It would be Bach. He was extraordinary skilled as both musician and composer, and ahead of his own times.

If you had to name one song from any genre that really speaks to you, which one would it be and why?
It would be “MacArthur Park”, written by Jimmy Webb and sung by Richard Harris. It’s because of both the power of the sentiment combined with the orchestration, and sensitively sung. An homage to lost love.

Note: Now kids, Richard Harris is a legend in the acting world and he sang this song which took us all by surprise, pleasantly. It’ll be on youtube I’m sure. Have a look.

Are you a Mulder or Scully? Do you believe aliens have visited planet earth and if so what do you think they think about mankind?

I can’t remember the details of the characters, but it was a thought provoking series. I doubt if they have visited Earth, as it would take them so many light years to reach this obscure part of our galaxy. But if they did and if they’d reached a high state of development, I guess they’d see us as flawed, irresponsible creatures, easily manipulated by narcissistic leaders.

Note: I must be an alien, because that’s exactly what I think! Nanoo nanoo (OK so if you’re under fifty you won’t get that).

What was the happiest day of your life and why?
The day I married my wife Jo, because I’d finally found my true love and soulmate, and it was a perfect day.

Note: And now Jo, you have it in print, give the man a hug.

Taken from the book, Minds Behind the Music HERE and available everywhere. 

Copyright 2021 Minds Behind the Music