Rainbow Emotions

A Review by mAncient

I have heard it said, that rainbows are God’s love crystallised.

A corollary would be that music is emotions put into action.

MP Clarke (Twitter @mpclarke5) just released his solo album, “Drawers through the Ceiling”. Martin is also a part of the art prog pop duo Those Men, and has had a long career in music.


I have been singing for many, many years. Being a professional musician, I have developed some criteria as to what makes a “good song”.

And I could talk for hours about tonal quality, scales, chord changes, the advantages of ABACAA vs. ABABA song structure, and all the other ways we try to put music into words.

But actually, it is simpler than that. Does the song make my body move, my heart beat and do I start singing along the second time I hear the chorus?

Besides “Mystery Girl”, the song on this album that really got to me was “Someone in this world loves you”.

Here, Martins voice truly shines. The transition from chest to head voice is lovely, the simple instrumentation augments his voice perfectly, and the lyrics speak of a deep longing for release from all that scars us in this world - and compassion and hope.

Thank you, fellow pilgrim MP Clarke. Keep shining your light!

There is a video available of one of the songs, “Mystery Girl”. Somehow it reminds me of Scandinavia … visit his profile to see it.


mAncient (Twitter @mancient_com) loves music. For healing, dancing, sharing & caring. His music can be heard here:
https://www.songwhip.com/mancient.