T'Pau Time

Carol Decker Speaks to Minds

No, Carol Decker is not a Vulcan elder from Star Trek. She is in fact the gorgeous red-head lead singer from T’Pau the band. She’s quite mad, which is why I love her so much. T’Pau had their first big international hit with “Heart and Soul” and followed up with the massive “China in Your Hands”. The album, “Bridge of Spies”, reached number one and in fact went quadruple platinum. See, I can spell. It was a cold March morning when Carol Decker put a spell on me.


If you could be any other musician past or present, which one would it be and why?
I'd be Debbie Harry. She was stunning & sexy but never came across as any man's plaything or a helpless little woman, She fronted her band and was perceived as a strong leader and absolutely essential focal point. I believe that our sexuality is part of our humanity and don't have a problem with a good looking person making that gift part of what sells the band a long with of course credible music and a great voice. Debbie was a big influence on me.

Note: 99.99% of red blooded males have to agree with me when I say Carol Decker is just as hot as Debbie Harry.


Like Debbie, I too was in my late 20’s when i got my break and 30 when 'China in Your Hand' was at number one, but only in my dreams am I that cool!!

If you had to name one song from any genre that really speaks to you, which one would it be and why?
This is hard one as on a different day I might pick another song, but today I pick 'Running Down a Dream' by Tom Petty. The relentless drums, the super cool guitar lick. It’s one of those songs that gets you bopping, you can't not tap your foot! I like the space in the song. There are big chunks with no vocal, but the instrumentation still keeps you hooked. I’ve never been able to write a song like this as I'm not a player, I’m a singer, so I fill a song with words. I always play air drums to this song especially the outro, that just sails on into infinity. I imagine it still playing in the ether after the fade. May I add I was particularly gutted when he died, It was huge loss to music.

Are you a Mulder or Scully? Do you believe aliens have visited planet earth and if so what do you think they think about mankind?
NEVER really watched it! And I know that's like saying I've never seen star wars!!!

Read the rest of the interview and 80 more music stars in the new book, Minds Behind the Music. More HERE