Francis Rossi of Status Quo Speaks to Minds

Francis Rossi – Status Quo



Now seriously, you need me to do a bio of Francis Rossi? Erm, you know that really big rock band that has been around since Noah floated his Ark? Yeah, that Status Quo. Well, Francis Rossi is that bloke stood up front singing. I really shouldn’t have to write any more and besides Francis said quite enough during our interview.

If you could be any other musician past or present, which one would it be and why?
I don’t have that thing, I don’t have a favourite anything, so I find that weird whenever people ask that question.

If anybody then maybe Jeff Lynn. But I don’t want to be anybody else. No I don’t because it’s fucking difficult enough being me, to being someone else.

It looks good on the outside whom ever it is, but I know, Jeff for instance, had some things go wrong in his life, from his management and so on and so on.

Oh you get people saying “I wouldn’t mind being you”. Ah, you’ve got no fucking idea, the internal dialogue alone would do you. let alone being that bloke up on the stage that most people can’t stick because they’re Status Quo.

It’s the truth, I do speak the truth.


If you had to name one song from any genre that really speaks to you, which one would it be and why?
You see you narrow it down to one, and immediately came to mind was “Lonely Boy”, because the song reminded me of my first son, who I’m sure was disappointed when his brother came along, because he didn’t understand that.

I love the structure of the song and I love the whole way it was done - the story. And I love Andrew Gold. I love the idea. That is what we call a 145 sequence and you move the base note around so that it suddenly sounds WOW.

But the record? Probably a track by Johnny and the Hurricanes, “When I Was Young”, because I never wanted to play lead guitar and it was all, da, da, da, da da da, da, da da, “Red River Rock”, which was a country song, and they did it instrumentally.

And one more, either “Walk Right Back”, or “Kathie’s Clown”.


They all had profound effects, with the Everly Brothers stuff with “Lonely Boy” and Johnny and the Hurricanes. But probably in sequence Johnny and the Hurricanes, Everly Brothers obviously and then “Lonely Boy.”

I can’t go for one because, what a sad fucking life he’s had, that he only likes one record or one song, you know, poor sod, no.

Want to know more? Go here Minds Behind the Music