Simon Phillips of Toto Speaks to Minds

Simon Phillips – Toto


An extremely talented jazz, pop and rock drummer, Simon has the illustrious title of having been the drummer for Toto. But that’s not even half of his amazing career. He’s also drummed for Jeff Beck, Gary Moore, Bernie Marsden, Jon Lord, Nik Kershaw, Mike Oldfield, Judas Priest, Mike Rutherford, Tears for Fears, Brian Eno, 10cc, Big Country, David Gilmour, Whitesnake and The Who. So small fry then.

Of course, he’s also released two albums through his own band, Ph.D. He’s also an extremely nice bloke who took the time out to answer my questions.

If you could be any other musician past or present, which one would it be and why?
Frankly I wouldn't want to be another musician. I'm really happy being myself and I prefer to admire all the great musicians I know or know of. Being a musician is not about perfection or being someone else. It's about learning from all your idols and peers and coming up with innovative, inspiring music whether played or composed.

If you had to name one song from any genre that really speaks to you, which one would it be and why?
I cannot answer that question because there are so many songs and tunes I love from all genres. It's a bit like being asked who's your favourite child, if you happen to have a few. The list would be long!

Note: I’m pretty sure I will be able to pin him down soon. Hang in there...

Are you a Mulder or Scully? Do you believe aliens have visited planet earth and if so what do you think they think about mankind?
I used to think that there are entities from other planets which have visited us. However, the older I grow I begin to doubt the possibility of visitors. Not because I don't believe they exist but more because the chances of humans overlapping with another planet of beings is so small given the time restraints of the universe. Our whole existence over thousands of years is a blink of the eye in universal terms.

What was the happiest day of your life and why?
That's really tough to answer as I'm sure there were many such days in my younger years. However the most recent "happiest day" would be moving into my newly re-built house after 3 years of dealing with all the issues of losing my house to the Thomas Fire of 2017!

If “God” (whatever your idea is on that) were stood before you now, what one question would you ask him/her and why?
Where do we go after we die?


Want to know more? Buy the book here Minds Behind the Music