Zach Churchill - "Surrender" 

Zach Churchill's "Surrender" is one of those tracks that's both entertaining and serious at the same time. Personally, I've always loved that combination as I never felt that a song should just be one or the other. But the song's charms do not end there. It's got great vocals and terrific pulsating guitars. However, the true star here is "Surrender's" timeless melody, which sounds like it could have been written in almost any decade since the sixties. It's absolutely brilliant.

The lyrics are dark but realistic. Not everybody has it easy and even the ones who do are bound to hit rough patches somewhere along the way. My favourite lines in the song are:

The voice inside my head sounds just like you do
And I do what it says, event hough I don't want to

With "Surrender" Zach Churchill brings back quite a bit of what has been lost in modern music but what was very much the essence of the singer-songwriter tunes of the late sixties and early seventies: meaningful content.


Review by Tom Tikka for MBTM