Alexa Borden - "Not Like That"

5 out of 5

After I head the opening line ("You're talking crazy, you must be off your meds again") I knew I that I was going to love this track. What can I say? It's perfect guitar-driven pop/rock with great vocals and stellar lyrics. It's an "individual against the society" song and obviously, for anyone who has the ability to self-reflect and ponder on what's happening in the world today will truly appreciate the lyrics. However, the lyrics and disarming melody aside, "Not Like That" is also a very accomplished production from this young Canadian artist. It's one of those records where everything falls into place so naturally that you can just focus on enjoying the song. There's nothing you would want to add or take away. It just works.

Her Spotify bio says that "Borden creates a thoughtful musical landscape that gets in your head and stays." While so many Spotify bios are sexed-up to the point where the picture they portray of the artist is, how should I put it kindly, well ... inaccurate, Alexa Borden's couldn't be more on point. She truly has a talent for creating meaningful music and lyrics AND has a tremendous ear for pop sensibilities, which is probably why I find myself singing the chorus over and over again in my mind. 

Listen here: "Not Like That" by Alexa Borden

News post/review by Tom Tikka for MBTM