SURVIVE!

Sounds of the Sunshine City


This week I was given the opportunity to be introduced to a talented singer and songwriter called Mason Rose Gray (Twitter: @masonrosegray1) and listened to the release named ‘SURVIVE’.

The sound of a bright acoustic guitar delicately placed on top of a bed of rain and gentle distant thunder. The soft and emotional vocals rest stunningly in the mix, the verses tell a story and sets the tone beautifully for the rest of the song.

I really enjoyed listening to ‘SURVIVE’ as it gave me a sense of comfort and security... We all experience troubled times now and again, and this song was like a subtle fresh breeze blowing across an otherwise perfectly still and serene lake.

I wanted to spotlight ‘SURVIVE’ so placed it onto my ‘The Best of Indie & Unsigned Talent’ playlist HERE

I decided to reach out and see if Mason would mind answering a few questions and of course, she did not hesitate to contact me and explained she would be honoured to!

So, Mason... Would you mind telling me about where you are from?

“I was born in Arizona but grew up in Florida. I moved to California for 7 1/2 years but moved back to be with family due to COVID. I’m currently residing in an adorable small town called St. Petersburg, with an incredible art scene. One of my hobbies is to find murals around the city and create dances to various music. You can check them out on my Instagram (@masonrosegray)”

When did you first start writing and performing music?

“I started writing lyrics when I was younger and would sing when no one was home. It wasn't until I went through a breakup and major self-transformation in my 20's, that I revisited writing and music. Since then, lyrics have been pouring out of me. I write a song a day with my guitar, most of the time just freestyling to keep the creativity alive. Lyrics and melodies pop into my head while driving, thank god for voice memos.”

What is the story or message behind your music?

“I started creating music with the sole intention of shining light into the dark and exposing the truth, my sound blends indie, folk and blues with honest and raw lyrics, unlocking a whole new world; the good, the bad, the ugly. A unique and infectious sound, encouraging self-love and ultimately providing the key to happiness.”

What hopes, goals or dreams do you wish to achieve from the release of your music?

“I'm currently working on an album called OMNIPRESENCE. My dream is to tour and be on the big stage! Although, I know it's a process. I'm enjoying every moment of it and soaking it all in.”

Lastly, are you able to tell me who or what influences and inspires you as a musician the most?

“Wow, that’s a tough one. There are so many amazing and talented artists. I find inspiration through several of them. Billie Eilish is a musical genius, the way she navigates words with her voice is an out of body experience. I find it magical and mesmerizing. Maggie Rogers vocals, lyrics and production style is outrageous and I absolutely look up to her as a mentor. I also love David Bowies eccentric style and jovial personality, it’s intoxicating. His music makes me feel out of this world.”

It was great catching up with Mason and being able to hear her story. A talented singer and songwriter from Florida and you can check out the rest of her music HERE

Or you can keep up with what she is doing on social media below:

IG: @masonrosegray

Twitter: @masonrosegray1

Facebook: MasonRoseGray

TikTok: @masonrosegray


Article by Anthony Hurney. Find him HERE