Long Night

Preview: Long Night by John Ashraf


I quite enjoy singing. It has been an integral part of my life for 33 years, which was when I took my first professional lesson.

Towards the end of my first album, Livet er, I changed direction. Started creating electronica: Earth House, my own genre.

But singing has stayed with me, especially once I discovered Smule and StarMaker, two karaoke apps.

Here, I discovered music cultures that were foreign, yet familiar. Unknown scales. Unfamiliar intervals. Singing Mitwa in Hindi, a language I don’t know … fascinating.

And that is an appropriate term for John Ashraf’s new song, Long Night, which will be released January 22’nd.

He is an Egyptian producer, who enjoys exploring genres. His first release, a Future Bass-track called Let’s Go Now, gained recognition on several Spotify playlists and one editorial playlist on Anghami.

The vocalist, Marina Lother, graduated from Assiut University with a music degree.

What caught my attention with this song is the combination of various cultures. It is Disco House, with a strong Oriental flavour. The instrumentation of bass, rises, and elements should make any lovers of the genre listen more than once, and brings images to my mind of people swaying by the pyramids, the winds cooling their bodies while the music lights up their hearts.

Marina’s voice is wistful and very well placed in the mix.

Connect with John here: https://ffm.bio/vamxnwl for a chance to hear his song on release day!


Article by mAncient
(Haakon is on Twitter: @mancient_com).