Gotta Have Faith

Pre-release review: “Just to show my Love” by The Word66


It has been said; “With great power comes great responsibility”.

I have written a few reviews. And in every review I write, I want to show respect to the creator.

As an artist, I know the dedication and grit it takes simply to create. As a man of faith, I know the burning desire to share.

The Word66 is a Christian band out of Las Vegas. Their debut EP, “On the way to the promise land”, based on the book of Exodus, and got a lot of attention worldwide, both in Christian circles and among mainstream Rock-fans.

They covered “Spirit in the Sky”, a song I have enjoyed in many incarnations since the early 80’s. Fascinating in its ambiguity.

The band consists of Steve Scott, Brian Torres and Dave Murray.

Steve lost his faith for 14 years. Then, he returned. And he wants to share!

On their website, https://www.theword66.com, you'll find scripture. Such as “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.”

IMHO, among the most beautiful and hope-filled parts of the Bible.

But let’s get back to the music.

Just to show you my Love is in many ways a classic rock-song. Danny Miranda, whom rock aficionados may recognise as the bass player of Queen and Blue Oyster Cult, chimes in with some nice bass licks.

I have written a few songs myself. One challenge I have found, which I also find in my work as a monk and priest, is “preaching without preaching”. I can’t abide people who try to save me. “You just gotta …” - fill in the blanks with the commandments of the religion you adhere to.

This is where the lyrics of this song shines. It speaks of “giving thanks”, about “showing love”, about “open up my heart to you”. The personal experience of faith, as opposed to the often judgemental expression of organised religion.

One of the finest contemporary worship singers I know is Lauren Daigle. And though the genre and expression is very different, I got the same vibe from these lyrics.

Packaged in a classic rock song.

Connect with The Word66 on their website, and on Twitter: @theword66.

And, for the curious... No. The D of Word should not be mirrored. There are no beastly numbers in their band name. But there are 66 books in the Bible.


Article by mAncient. Haakon is on Twitter: @mancient_com. He has a book:
https://simplebooklet.com/theglassonionmakingofabuddha