Indie Superstar Interview

Indie Superstar, Coen Rhys, Answers Our Questions

Coen Rhys is a positive over-thinker & experimental songwriter, applying twisted logic while balancing happy times with sad moments. He's also a jolly awesome chap and great musician who appears on the Minds Behind the Music fundraising album and will appear on the second one soon!

Follow him on twitter https://twitter.com/coenrhys




If you could be any other musician past or present, which one would it be and why?

I like to think I consolidate and balance my influences… I’m happy to let them be them and for me to use their inspiration in how I diarise my thoughts through music to (try and) make sense of the mad world we live.


If you had to name one song from any genre that really speaks to you, which one would it be and why?

That's a rough one! I would be inclined to go with Jupiter by Gustav Holst. I can hear the ideas within the piece in lots of music!

Are you a Mulder or Scully? Do you believe aliens have visited planet earth and if so what do you think they think about mankind?

Yes I believe aliens have visited planet earth… I am of the belief that the humans are the aliens.

The longer we have been on the plant, the more time to become increasingly distracted on what’s important and generally focussed on barriers to happiness.

What was the happiest day of your life and why?

The day our family as a 4 piece was complete.

From the unsure but excited face of my Oder child coming into my bedroom, seeing mummy wasn’t there and asking if her sister was ok (we didn’t know if we were having a boy or a girl).

Then when they both met each other, mummy and daddy looking at each other as our hearts were on the verge of bursting, thinking: this is the best feeling!

If “God” (whatever your idea is on that) were stood before you now, what one question would you ask him/her and why?

I wouldn’t ask God anything. I believe we make our own God. We have the power to make life whatever we want it to be.

As an expressive artist in the music industry, how does the state of the planet make you feel?

Embarrassed!

The planet however has a way to make the best of how it’s treated. I just hope the planet has some more patience to forgive the stupidity that’s destroying it.

Do you think as a person of some influence that there is a duty on us to help influence humanity for the better?

Every living thing has a duty, unfortunately the culture we find ourselves in is dominated by the need for power rather than common sense. We should all role model and all be willing to adopt better ways of thinking whoever or wherever these ideas come from.

What one cause would you say you feel most associated with and why? Whether it’s equality, poverty, politics, the environment or other?

It all comes down to respect! I often think that supporting just one cause is counter intuitive, and creates more of a divide.

Countries are lines drawn on sand by boys with swords, definitions are created by those in power to undermine differences.

If you were stood before the leaders of the world, what would you say to them?

I wouldn’t waste my breathe: the “leaders” implied in the question are mere puppets (in my opinion). A true leader builds a better tomorrow. The current “world leaders” use fear to drive profit, that’s not leadership.

And finally my last question is in fact one written by Freddie Mercury in the song “Is This the World We Created”:

Yes, This is the world we created, and we can change it for the better too, or destruct it by believing someone else will sort out the problem. Let’s not blame, instead take responsibility and do what we can (however little this may seem).