6 out of 5

“I Couldn’t Trust” is a fantastic pop/rock number with backwards guitars, electronic piano, tubular bells, and many other very cool production touches that make you feel like you’ve just wandered into a time machine and travelled to a nightclub in the seventies. Don’t get me wrong, the song’s contemporary but the instrumentation and the feel is very retro and I mean that as a compliment. There’s mysticism galore and yet enough edge to keep us interested. As Coleman delivers his Tom Petty-flavored, lethargic but powerful lead vocal, instruments fly in and out of the mix, which makes “I Couldn’t Trust” a great listening experience. It’s one of those rare songs that you don’t want to end. You want more of it. Luckily, in the age of streaming platforms, it’s easy enough to press play again.

Lyrically the song rests on the very familiar turf of relationship/inner struggles. And why not? This topic will always work. This fact has been clear to me ever since I saw the movie Crossroads and heard the character of Willie Brown stating that, “blues ain’t nothing but a good man feeling bad.” It’s basically this same foundation that Coleman is building his track:

It was you I couldn’t trust
It was you I couldn’t love

Sadly, this is a message that we can all relate to. You see, trust is a complicated issue. It’s something that is hard to build (it can take years) but easy to lose (one small thoughtless unexplainable action and you’re done). The ultimate question is whether you can love someone you can’t trust. I tend to agree with Coleman. You really can’t. You’ll go crazy and nothing in the world is worth that. Of course, if it’s a case of not being able to trust yourself, as the brilliant music video of “I Couldn’t Trust” implies, well … then you just might be screwed. A relationship you can leave but as far as I know, we’re sort of stuck with ourselves.

Just like the song, the music video too is wonderful, definitely something you don’t have to box your way through.

Listen and watch here: “I Couldn’t Trust” by R. F. Coleman

Review/post by Tom Tikka for MBTM