6 out of 5

My era was the late 1990s but I got to say I like the pop music of the 1960s as well. Not just the Beatles, who are still (in my book at least) the greatest band there ever was but also a bit more obscure bands, like Herman's Hermits, Manfred Mann and The Hollies. The thing that I find appealing in their songs is the certain naiveté that would disappear from pop songs by 1967. If you listen closely, this is when the genre of pop music changed and it did so very rapidly – in just a few years. Dylan put out "Ballad Of A Thin Man", The Beatles released "Tomorrow Never Knows" and then there were the newcomers: Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, The Doors, The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane and well ... the list is endless. The point that I am trying to make is that nothing in the pop realm was really never the same again after this period.

"45" belongs to that more simple and naive era that existed prior to 1967 and this is one of its biggest charms. I can picture Gerry & The Pacemakers performing this song. And I mean that as a complement. I believe the score I am giving this tune speaks volumes. And really, what's there not to like? Revelle's song has a great oldies pop groove, an outstanding melody, fantastic lead guitars and well-delivered vocals. And the acoustic guitars ... don't even get me started on those – they sound amazing. 

Another thing I want to point out is the song structure, which ties it firmly to the era I am mentioning above. Notice how "45" lacks a chorus. This was very typical for pop songs of the early sixties. Instead, you get that instrumental break, which in this case is the guitar solo. The odd thing is that the absence of a chorus doesn't matter because the verse is so versatile and melodic. Personally, I love the way it was done back then and I love that Giovany has revisited this style of writing with his new single. 

"45" is a breath of fresh air amidst all the modern production gimmicks and the "oh-oh-ohs" and "ah-ah-ahs" of trendy pop. The song's like a time machine that at least I am going to step into many times in the days to come. In fact, I'd continue this write-up but I can't because I'll be too busy pressing play.

Listen here: "45" by Giovany Revelle

Review by Tom Tikka for MBTM