5 out of 5

Isaac Neilson’s new 1990s-flavored “Tear This Down” is an energetic pop/rock song with a kick-ass melody, a melody that’s actually also rather intriguing. By that I mean that the note-progression’s well though out. It’s a bit different from your usual run-of-the-mill pop composition. Listening to it is like going on a guided tour of a museum that ends up giving you much more than you anticipated … or paid for.

 

But it’s not just the melody or the powerful lead vocals that makes this a great track. The arrangement of “Tear This Down” is equally good, a wonderful combination of strong and fragile, seasoned with warm and inviting production values. Check out the playful and whimsical bass, and while you are at it, the drum accents and fills aren’t half bad either. In fact, they are pretty damn good. Oh, and the tambourine adds a nice touch.

 

You know, I can imagine standing on a subway platform, waiting for the next train, listening to “Tear This Down”. The subway would help me make new memories. It would take me to the wherever I might be going, while the song would guide me down memory lane. I know I’ve been in those “we got to leave here” situations a plethora of times during my life – I suppose quite a few of us have. But that’s the thing about songs like “Tear This Down”, they make us realize that a lot of the quandaries we find ourselves in are rather universal, regardless of how personal they might seem to us.

 

Give this song a spin, you won’t regret it.

Listen and watch here: "Tear This Down" by Isaac Neilson

Review/post by Tom Tikka for MBTM