It's Carry On Bond Girl Time!

Valerie Leon: Carry On Star Talks to Minds

Valerie Leon appeared in several of the Carry On films and has been a Bond girl twice: in The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) and Never Say Never Again (1983). Other supporting appearances include Revenge of the Pink Panther, The Rise and Rise of Michael Rimmer (as the secretary Tanya), a hotel receptionist in The Italian Job, and a callgirl in No Sex Please, We're British, alongside fellow Carry On actress Margaret Nolan. The 1971 Hammer horror film Blood from the Mummy's Tomb offered Leon a rare lead role, as a reincarnated Egyptian queen. And now she's even more famous because she spoke to Minds.

My first question is, what would you most like to be remembered for?

I would love to be remembered for having added a little fun and pleasure to people's lives.

We know most politicians were born in the fiery pit of hell as the spawn of Satan, but what's your opinion of the politics of the world today?

Politics are beyond me. The one rule I live by is Do not harm and if we all followed that rule the world would be a better place.

So, how does it really feel to be fancied by millions of blokes (and probably some women)?

When I was young I thought it was scary but now I love it.

If you were an alien visiting planet earth, what would you do? Would turn around and go back? Or stay and try and help? Or maybe conquer?

I would just marvel at the beauty of nature (which I presumably would not have experienced on the planet where I come from).

What has been your greatest achievement so far?

Producing two decent, caring and hardworking children.

What has been mankind's greatest achievement?

To survive.

If you had the chance to speak to every human being on earth, what would your message be?

Live and let live and recognise how privileged you are to be alive.

If your life depended on it, which Soap Opera would you do a cameo in?

Without my life depending on it I would love to be in Coronation Street, whatever the cameo!

If a tree falls in a forest, and nobody is around to see or hear it, does it make a sound?

Yes.

Have you ever felt pressured by the fact that what you do in the public eye or when you're acting it may affect society? Have you ever wondered whether you were doing the right thing?

No. So far I have not had that problem. My parts have been too insignificant. But I do believe in the copycat factor, which truly scares me.

What advice would you give to actors today?

Develop your imagination as much as you can.

Why do you think music and words seems to work so much better than just words as a means to get a message across?

Music stays in your head longer than words on their own. I love singing and when you sing with your whole being the words become part of you.

What kind of movies do you watch and why?

I love good old-fashioned romantic comedies

What are your opinions about the power of the internet?

It is amazing. The benefits far outweigh the dangers.

Do you think man is created in the image of God (or Goddess) or the other way around?

I think God is created in the image of Man/woman.

A recent scientific report stated that religion will eventually die out completely. What's your opinion on that? A good thing or a bad thing?

In my opinion religion in its literal sense is intended to re connect us to the greater whole from which we come, I think that feeling part of a greater whole is a human necessity which will never die out. Organised religions who use their power to limit people's freedom may well die out.

Is “free will” the whole of the law? Can man ever be truly free?

I think absolute free will does not exist. We are always conditioned by something.

Do you back Nuclear Power? If not, why not.

No. I think the risk is too great. We should cut back our needs.

Do you believe in Ghosts? UFO's (i.e. aliens visiting planet earth)? God?

I believe, but am not sure in what.

Have you ever experienced altered states of consciousness? How, why and was it beneficial? And would you recommend it to all politicians, business and religious leaders?

Personally I have not but I have friends who have and I am open minded about it.

What's the craziest thing you've ever done?

Turning down a personal invitation to meet Federico Fellini to discuss the possibility of a part. because I was breastfeeding and embarrassed about leakage! I was too green/ ignorant/barmy to realise that that is precisely what would have inspired him to give me the job!

What would you still like to achieve?

I would love to become a professional cabaret singer or work on Coronation Street.

Would you ever record a duet with Justin Bieber?

I would love to.

Do you believe in manmade global warming? Or is it natural?

Some natural but I am in no doubts predominantly man made.

And lastly please feel free to say anything at all you want to the world of readers and tell us all about what you're up to these days, plug something, a website or carboot sale.

Just that it is truly flattering to think that people still want to read about me and that you can visit my website for all up to date details. Also that I have put together a presentation about my life and work www.valerieleon.co.uk