It's All Freddie Mercury's Fault

Freddie Made Me Do It


Why did I start this project? Trust me, over the past few months I’ve often considered this question. Music managers, pop agents, sarcastic rock stars and the endless chasing have more than once seemed like a nightmarish battle of wills. But if we can’t stand up for what we believe in then why bother getting out of bed in the morning?

It all started after I’d finished making a documentary about overpopulation. I popped on the old musical machine, hit the random button and the Queen song, “Is This The World We Created?” came on. It’s a truly beautiful song delivered brilliantly by Freddie. The words struck me like no other. We claim to be the most advanced species on planet Earth, and yet if we were to judge on the levels of destruction, we’d be the worst. There and then I decided I had to do something. In my past life I was a marketing man. Yeah I know, line up to take aim. My head spun, I must be able to use some of my rubbish skills to help out our planet and all the suffering we create!

And then it struck me! I had absolutely no idea what to do. Needless to say I was in a bit of a mood that afternoon. And so off to bed I went. I woke up with the whole idea in my head. Music stars have a massive amount of influence in the world. I mean, why else would people wear hoodies and a certain brand of training shoes? It’s a selfie and selfless world we often live in. If I could possibly get through to a few musicians and get them to give me interviews then maybe people would read a book. If I went for rock, pop and folk stars I’d be getting a wide range of people interested. Even if they bought the book and went straight to the chapter with their music hero in, it would be worth while. The questions would have to be interesting of course and so why not ask them stupid questions? Like do you believe in aliens? Obviously I was perfectly capable of coming up with stupid questions. Boy was I surprised with the answers.

And so, that morning I put together an email and opened up the web browser. I already knew a few music stars and I tried them first. Within an hour I had responses. Within a week I had dozens of stars all saying yes Phil! Blimey. I have to say it, the response from the music world has been amazing and I want to thank each and every one of them for putting in the effort. Apart from those who didn’t of course. I just deleted them from my play lists. You know who you are. Of course, you can always get in touch now and we’ll consider you for the follow up book.

Find out more here Minds Behind the Music 

Listen to some of Francis Rossi's answers here