Corr Blimey

In Conversation with Sharon Corr


The Corrs have gone Platinum four times. They've been awarded honorary MBE's. They've had massive international success with singles such as Runaway. Now Sharon Corr has released her solo album (Dream of You) and here she talks to Minds Behind the Music about her music, life and things that go bump in the night…. Oh, and Johnny Depp.

Can you tell us all about your past, present and future?
Started learning violin at 6yrs old, taught myself the piano, went to school- wasn't nuts about it! Ran a record shop at 18. Gigged with Jim as a duet. Corrs as a band formed 1990 to audition for commitments film and it grew from there, wrote songs, recorded, worked our ....s off! Sold 35 Million Albums. Got married, had 2 babies - Cal and Flori .. awwwwwwww. Started writing and recording solo album Dream Of You and here I am! (Of course a shed load of stuff happened in between but that's it in a nutshell)

Tell us a little about your kind of music please!
I have two voices - vocal and violin. I love writing, sometime it's a pop song, sometimes it a classical, sometimes it's trad, sometimes it's a mix of all three that's me! Who knows where it comes from I just let it out!

If you were an alien visiting planet earth, what would you do? Would you turn around and go back? Or stay and try and help? Or maybe conquer?
Considering the state we've got ourselves into - I'd probably - if I were an alien - put the UFO in reverse!

We know most politicians were born in the fiery pit of hell as the spawn of Satan, but what's your opinion of the politics of the world today?
Run by humans unfortunately. We could learn a lot by putting more women in positions of power - less ego - more nurture!

So come on, how does it really feel to be desired by millions of blokes around the globe?
No idea! Sounds fab tho!

What has been your greatest achievement so far?

My kids, my music.

What has been mankind's greatest achievement?
Johnny Depp

If you had the chance to speak to every human being on earth, what would your message be?
Don't hurt each other

If your life depended on it, which Soap Opera would you do a cameo in?
Dallas, I need me some shoulder pads! Oh and Johnny Depp has to play JR!

If a tree falls in a forest, and nobody is around to see or hear it, does it make a sound?
Of course it does, funnily enough - it makes the sound a tree makes when it falling. Duh!

Have you ever felt pressured by the fact that what you sing about affects society? Have you ever wondered whether you were doing the right thing?
Never - that's the beauty of doing what you love and loving what you do. Music has always been my best friend.

What advice would you give to musicians today? And what's your opinion of the highly engineered and marketed music we see in the charts today?
Find your own unique voice, never follow the pack. Learn your craft, know it, own it and never make excuses for who you are. "The industry" - seeks out what its heard before, but the public wants what touches them. If it comes from your heart - it will touch people.

Why do you think music and words seems to work so much better than just words as a means to get a message across?
Music makes language complete, really it's two languages merging to create a deeper- truer expression of ourselves and our world. Words on their own speak to the mind, music and words combined speak to the spirit and the soul.

What kind of movies do you watch and why?
Love old black and white movies and period films, like- All about Eve/ Remains Of The Day and Dangerous Liaisons. I suppose because they are so removed from today that I can truly escape and experience without prejudice.

What are your opinions about the power of the internet?
It's incredible -I love it and I hate it. The access to information is fantastic. But in away I feel it's too fast for us, that really we now have too many options - too many things we can be doing at the one time and therefore to little time to focus on who we are and who we love and what we should be focused on. I wonder also does it ultimately- rather than bring us together - bring us an imagined world of togetherness but lose the actual physical community around us?

Do you think man is created in the image of God (or Goddess) or the other way around?
I believe man is an animal that has evolved.

A recent scientific report stated that religion will eventually die out completely. What's your opinion on that? A good thing or a bad thing?
Good. Then hopefully we can get back to understanding how similar we are and how similar our needs are without the barriers of religion to tear us apart.
Is "free will" the whole of the law?

Can man ever be truly free? 
We are preconditioned by our genes, we are also evolving - there's the freedom.

Do you back Nuclear Power? If not, why not.
I feel it is a power beyond our control, it frightens me, our time would be better spent developing natural sources of sustainable energy, like wind and wave.

Do you believe in Ghosts? UFO's (i.e. aliens visiting planet earth)? God?
I believe in people, truth, love and hope. The rest I am open to but I'd much rather rely on what I see and know in my heart.

Have you ever experienced altered states of consciousness? How, why and was it beneficial? And would you recommend it to all politicians, business and religious leaders?
I would recommend that politicians re-introduce themselves to the truth of peoples' lives. Music enhances my consciousness and takes me to a place nothing else can.

What's the craziest thing you've ever done?
Went sailing with my husband round the Whitsunday Islands for a week in a 35ft sloop yacht when neither of us had any sailing experience, which one is port?

What would you still like to achieve?
More!

Would you ever record a duet with Justin Bieber?
Absolutely no idea........

Do you believe in manmade global warming? Or is it natural?
I honestly believe it has become a ridiculous "either/ or" debate when it is highly likely to be both.