An Interview With Lorenzo Gabanizza About Their New Single, "I Don't Want To Live Without You" Plus about him..


I had the opportunity to hear "I Don't Want To Live Without You". It is a magnificent track even in it's ruff state. I truly enjoyed the guitars, and the story that is being told. the background singers sound like angels! This is just an fantastic track. this track had me bobbin my head, again to a  truly stunning track. This track is something to look forward to, reader's. You will truly love it. I also had the great opportunity to interview Lorenzo Gabanizza about the track and some of his other thoughts.

                               The Lorenzo Gabanizza Interview

1.    What made you want to become a musician? How did it all start?

To answer the first question, I could say that it was a natural and obvious process. Because there was no desire to become a musician: I just was a musician. At the age of three I began to sing, without anyone forcing it on me, at five, to play a small two-octave orange accordion. At seven years old to play drums and guitar, so you see, it was just a process. I suppose I've already answered the second question, but I could tell that I remember one day in particular, where I saw my brother Max tinkering with our old Europhon record player. He had hooked up a microphone to the speakers and put the Beatles record "She loves you" on the turntable. He invited me to try singing and so did my parents. At first, hearing my voice coming out of the speakers was such a bizarre sensation that I couldn't stop laughing. Then I really started singing and never stopped.


2.    What inspired you to write "I Don't Want To Live Without You"?

One of my favorite books is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I suppose because the passionate,


virulent, tantalizing love of the two protagonists suits my inner torments and the essence of who I am and how I love. Therefore, inspired by a personal experience, I developed the theme and I wanted to sanctify it, so to speak, with the presence of a magnificent gospel choir. The deep meaning of the track will be partially revealed in the video clip, but I can't reveal anything, firstly because it would ruin the surprise and secondly, because it is right to leave the audience free to elaborate what they will see and hear.

 3.    What was the process that you had to go through to make this track?

 A long and hard chiseling process. To say the truth, not yet finished. Above all to include each tool and enhance it. Anyone who understands mixing knows perfectly well that having many instruments together is like working in a cupboard crammed with precious porcelain. Of course, I could have included fewer instruments in the arrangement, but that would have twisted the original idea: this song was supposed to be epic, mighty, glorious. Because these are the adjectives that fit eternal realities like love and death, which the song is about.


4.    What’s the bands line up?

Terrific. Judge by yourself. On Lead and background vocals Jeff Christie and myself. On drums, Paul Fenton which is currently T-Rex drummer. On bass, the one and only Kev Moore, who’s the bass player of many projects, not least his band “Witch Cross” that is getting the stages of all Europe in fire. I have to add that the song will be released also in a orchestral version: orchestra, bass, acoustic guitar, piano and voices. In that version, it will be my brother Max playing bass. On piano Hale White, a Nashville talented guy who worked among the others with Pam Tillis, Lorrie Morgan, Collin Raye. On dobro, Patrick Lyons who works for country mainstream star Colter Wall. On strings, arranged and directed by me, Richard Curran who worked for the great Bert Jansch (Pentagle and Donovan inspirer). On trumpets, we have John Heinrich (Barry Gibb, Percy Sledge, Ronnie Millsap) and Mike Casteel (Connie Francis, Sting). On Back vocals, the gospel choir FORTUNATE Which I’d like to thank from these pages. Takisha Frost, their Manager and Karen Ksoul Bowden, Constance Devone and Tomeka Pierce: Thank you Sisters!!! The mixing is by Corey “The Magician” Moore. Mastering, by 63 times Grammy awarded Greg Calbi (worked for such as Dylan, Lennon and Bowie) and Steve Fallone, winner of a Grammy in 2022 for his work with Lady Gaga. The release date is not known yet, but it will be around End April if things are going as planned.

5.    Is the band Christie getting back together?


Certainly, many have thought about this and asked themselves the same question. Fans around the world etc. But I have to say no. This is not going to happen. Christie is the past. Surely a glorious past and an integral part of who Jeff and I are as musicians, but neither of us are interested in a resurrection of the band. We prefer to keep moving forward rather than keep looking back.

6.    What are the essential qualities that make a good musician? 

Have a good ear. Have an open communication through the inner world and the outside world. Being honest. Being able to establish a connection with their audience.



7.    What was the best concert you’ve seen and why?

I remember two concerts. And it will surprise you because they are two culturally polar opposite musicians: Donovan and Mike Shinoda. At the Donovan concert I attended as a staff member and led the lighting rig and partially sat at the mixer with Pat. An unforgettable experience, and the opportunity to see from within a true myth of music and an exceptional person. Concerning Mike’s gig, it's a different story. Chester Bennington had recently died and that concert in Milan was a post-traumatic group therapy for everyone, including Mike. It must be said that, at the end of the concert, I delivered my personal letter to Mike's bodyguard but I never received a reply. It would be interesting to find out if the security guy kept his promise to deliver it in his hands.



8.    What accomplishments do you see yourself achieving in the next five to 10 years?

I don't predict the future. And I don't care to predict it. I have hopes, sure. What I hope is to be able to do this job with serenity.



9.    Which instrument is your favorite to play and why?

I play many instruments, but the guitar is the one I use the most because of its ease of handling and versatility.


10.    Are there any musicians who inspire you? What qualities do you admire about them?

Many, actually. Jeff Christie, because he was there at the beginning and he became part of my childhood: I really admire his ability to play all kinds of music, his melodic and scratchy voice when needed and he is also a fantastic multi-instrumentalist. There is so much more than a Yellow River! Then, Elvis Presley. I admire him because he owns all the qualities. Bob Dylan, for his intelligence and his ability to create vehicles of thought for the masses. Neil Diamond, for his way to marry melody and love together without being sappy. Barry Ryan, Freddie Mercury and Chester Bennington for their extraterrestrial voices. Edith Piaf, for her ability to bleed her voice on stage… And many many more like Jan Matthews, Brian Hyland, Bread, Kate Bush, Donovan, John Carter, Kincade, Linkin Park, Gordon Lightfoot, Stamford bridge, Engelbert, Dawn, Beatles, Etc.


Interview  by: SchizoFranic
Link: https://linktr.ee/SchizoFranic